Sunday, September 14, 2008

A Quick, and very Argentine, Anecdote

Just a quick story that I think illustrates Argentine M.O.:

Last night I went to a birthday party at a bar. This bar, like every other, has a "happy hour." If you arrive at a certain time you can get drink deals, like 2 of the same beer for the price of 1. We all ordered our first beers, but when the waitress came back and handed me the wrong one. I said, "Oh, I actually ordered a Warsteiner, not a Budweiser." She actually looked apologetic and ready to take it away and bring back the correct one, but I noticed that the bottle was already opened and would be wasted. I said, "Oh, you know what, it's ok. I don't mind drinking that one since it's opened." She smiled and thanked me. When the time came to order the second round, I said, "Warsteiner please." And she replied, "Oh no, you can only get 2 of the same kind of beer."
"Well," I explained, "Remember I had order a Warsteiner to begin with and you brought me a Budweiser by mistake? Well now I'd like to switch to the one I wanted."
"No, I'm sorry I can't do that. You have to stick to the same kind or I can't give you one for free." And with that she trotted off and brought me back an opened Budweiser.

2 comments:

widdiwoo said...

OH MY GOD! LOL! So that was your reward for doing her a favor?

Carla said...

She was not very good, I can see. Though you should not have asked for that kind of beer, Budwaiser or Warsteiner. If you are in Argentina, you need to go for a Quilmes. That is the most popular local beer and it tastes great. Now, if you want the best quality Argentine beer you would have to go to Cordoba, to "El viejo Munich" where they make an exquisit beer in a mixture of Argentine and German flavors! I had a Buenos Aires rent and next to my apartment there was a kiosk that sold this beer. I had one every night at dinner!